page contents

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sensory Customer Service Techniques

Customer Service. Customer Experience. Customer Relationship Management. I googled each of the phrases in attempt to see if any newer, clever buzzwords were out there I hadn't heard of. So far, no dice.  Anyway, in my past year as CFO I haven't spent much time thinking about customer service. Until last week. Because when you experience outstanding slap-you-in-the-face customer service, it's hard to stop thinking about it. As a matter of fact, it makes you realize how rarely you get pleasure of it.

Last weekend Doug needed to stock up on Levi work jeans since gaping holes have inevitably ended up in the most inconvenient spots for most of his current inventory (and his wife lacks mending abilities). So we took a trip to JC Penney. As the boys went to the men's department, Alex remembered that she needed to tour the cosmetic area. Sounded pretty good to me.

As we entered Sephora, we were immediately greeted by a chic English lady. I'd tell you she was about my age, but that would inaccurately age her...she was more likely 30-ish. Cute as a button. Obviously, she wanted to help us, but help we did not need. With my mish-mash of cosmetics and skincare products, I'm already well-taken care of. And Alex was searching for one thing only...of which I had no idea what that was. She let us be, but I really could have listened to her chat awhile. I do love a good accent.

Meanwhile, I found out that Alex was searching for a bright blue liquid eyeliner, a staple of all awesome 13 year-olds. Now here's where the the customer service story comes in. Even though we dallied a good twenty minutes and only made a $14 purchase, the cute English Lassie spent another twenty minutes giving us each a fragrance sample. And not just last season's overstock. She asked us our preferences, what we liked to wear, yada yada yada..... AND there were other people in the store...looking way cooler than us! Well, cooler than me at least.

Anyway, my point is, I wonder why that English girl is working in Council Bluffs? No, that's not my point. My point is, I'm very anxious to go back to that store. For TWO reasons:

  1. Because of the CUSTOMER SERVICE Ms. Soho delivered. We had an awesome EXPERIENCE. She sure knows something about CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT.
  2.  There's a Culver's close by. Good ice cream. Or is it custard?
Maybe I was just enamored by the accent. And the fragrance! I was hynoptized by the fragrance. It's all so clear now....Note to self: Have tellers start speaking in British accents and giving free fragrance samples.



1 comment:

Amy said...

I believe it's custard. It's so much better than ice cream. Just thinking let's plan a shopping day soon. We could stop at both places.