page contents

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Guess What?

So, Lyn and I were having lunch the other day...(yes, we actually figured out a a time to have lunch! We had a 2009 resolution to meet at least once a month, but I think that might have been the third time for the year...) Anyway, we were talking about our kids' reaction to their Christmas gifts, SINCE for some reason neither of our sets of kids got everything they asked for. Guess what? They survived! And they seemed to appreciate the gifts they did receive a little more than usual.

While I must admit that I was somewhat spoiled being an only child; however, I didn't get everything I asked for. (Lyn reminded me of my daunting desire for a Barbie Townhouse. Thank God she got one...otherwise I might have never known the pleasure. Please, don't cry.) At the time, it seemed unfair, merciless that I might not get absolutely every Mattel toy that flashed on the TV screen. But looking back, I'm glad I grew up in household that had to pinch pennies.

So how do we engrain this sentiment to a generation of kids who rarely go without?

Hmmm. Let me think. Wait! Doug knows this better than I! Just say NO. Remember that slogan? I believe it was to keep our generation from doing drugs. Now, we need to reignite the slogan...only to unspoil our Millennial children.

No comments: