page contents

Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Golden Rule -Fortified!

Amidst the normal business and economic data of the WSJ, I came across a refreshing article about a campaign to stop gossip among our youth to promote healthier and positive relationships. (The gist of the article was that the campaign shouldn't be limited to our youth, but perhaps implementing in the "office".) The formula is simple -- perhaps a slightly extended form of the Golden Rule. Before saying anything about anyone, ask yourself the following:

Is it kind?
Is it true?
Is it necessary?

If you find yourself answering "no" to any of these questions, keep your mouth shut. How easy is that? Well, watch yourself for a day. I, who like to think of myself as kind and non-judgmental, found that perhaps I'm not as kind and unbiased as I had presumed. So, since I had not pinned down a New Year's Resolution for 2010, it easily dawned on me that this is the year to REALLY practice the Golden Rule...fortified.

1 comment:

Rubi J said...

Great blog. I think a lot of us would stop at the first one "Is it kind?"
A great exercise to becoming better.