page contents

Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Post Mortem

Black Friday doesn't feel so black to me. It feels, well, kind of bright blue and lovely. (Just look outside.) And for anyone who cares how my first stab at hosting Thanksgiving went...

*Roasted brined turkey on Wednesday night. The bird came out beautifully in my new electric roaster. (You were right Ma!)
*The elegant carving I had intended turned into a mutilation, really. I lost my knife and fork somewhere underneath globs of poultry fat and skin. Just glad this step took place on Wednesday night.
*Alex's pumpkin pie was perfect.
*Mother-in-law fretted that I hadn't made enough mashed potatoes. She was right. LUCKILY, my Schwann's man had convinced me to purchased some frozen garlic mashed potato thingys some time back...they were actually better than the real soupy thing I concocted.
*Sister-in-laws and mother-in-law each brought at least two dishes. How'd they know we'd need it all? Very thankful for their wisdom. By the second meal of the day, my mother-in-law sweetly mentioned that she had another pan of brownies in the car...just in case. Bless her heart. We needed 'em.
*Dressing wasn't a crowd pleaser. I'm thinking I'm the only one liked the dish that took way too much time. Scared to ask my hubby for his opinion on that one.
*I didn't have near enough buns. Hard to believe I stumbled on this one. I can eat a whole package of buns myself.
*Went through four bottles of wine. I believe a good time was had by all.

And today? Today I have an attitude of gratitude...as an only child who married into a big family with tolerant and helpful hearts.

Amen.

No comments: