page contents

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Savvy Spendthrift

So last weekend in KC, my daughter was given an "allowance" to spend. She had to purchase some basics, such as jeans and a few other school necessities, but she had a fair amount to use at her discretion. I'm yet trying to decide if the exercise was more helpful to me or her. I had to tell myself a few times not to give in when her stash began to run short...but my daughter, she is a clever one...

As soon as she discovered the "buy one, get one free" promo's, she was all over it. I spent an hour trying to find a pair of pants in New York and Company because she found a pair that fit her perfectly! "How many times do I find jeans that fit this good, Mom?" She was right. They were adorable. And despite the one area of my wardrobe that I wasn't lacking (dress pants and jeans), I searched and searched so that I could make a purchase for Alex's benefit. Finally it hit me. I don't need pants and neither does she (we had already found a few pairs for her)...I needed to watch out for that ploy again...then at Bath and Body Works, the little fox approaches me again.

"Mom, do you think this color of lip gloss looks good on me?"
"It does!" As I'm scavenging the scented body sprays.
"Do you need gloss? If you buy two, you get one free!" says my enthusiastic shopper.
"Really?" So I follow her to the samples and pick out my gloss. Before I even knew what was happening, I've purchased Alex's two lip glosses and my new orange-flavored gloss to go with my other unused supply of lip glosses...

Apparently, I don't need to teach my daughters any lessons in savvy. Perhaps I could use some lessons myself though.

1 comment:

Alexandria said...

That's not excactly what happened mom... you seem to stretch the truth until the people can't stand it! Just ask Cole or me...