page contents

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Spend for America

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal this week about how Americans are savings more money these days. A good thing right? Typically, yes, but not so much in a recession. Well, that was the point in the article that stuck with me anyway. As I have often told my husband, I support the capitalistic structure of our country; therefore, I shop.

But the current state of the economy has caused me to pull back a bit. Despite the fact that my husband had one of his best years ever in farming. And that I have a good-paying job with little chance of losing it. And that I'm making boo-coo bucks selling books these days. (Okay, that might be an exaggeration...)

The other day Mom and I had a glorious day of shopping (meaning with no offspring). I came home with a clearance sweater, two sale-priced t-shirts and a non-puffy winter coat for Cole. That's it. Either my family already has way too much stuff, or the ubiquitous(1)doom and gloom sentiment of the country has tainted my psyche.

So back to the WSJ article. What do you suppose a heroin addict would do if he was told that shooting heroin was actually good for his country? You got it. So, for any of you with the means, I highly recommend you take advantage of the sales out there and get yourself a new pair of shoes. It's the patriotic thing to do. God Bless America.

DISCLAIMER: In no way do I believe that saving money is a bad idea. I'm a banker for goodness sake.

Footnotes:
(1) Don't you love that word? Say it a few times, it's fun. BTW, it means pervasive.

No comments: