page contents

Sunday, November 2, 2008

When I Grow Up...


I've made it perfectly clear that I do not want Alex and Cole to grow up. So, with every new day disclosing blatant indications of their physical and and emotional development, I've been wallowing a little deeper in self-pity.

Enough already! My kids are definitely still kids. Isn't that picture cute? And, today I started thinking about the joys I'm finding in their growth.

1. The day after Halloween, Cole retires from super-heroism. "Mom, next year, I'm not going to be a super-hero. I'm going to be something really scary." That is a major paradigm shift for the little guy. Perhaps Cole noticed a few too many other superheros on Beggar's Night and felt like just another face in the crowd. Well, it's too early to tell whether his new resolution will stick, but I'm looking forward to a conversation that doesn't involve The Dark Knight. (Dang, did I hear that Spiderman 4 is coming out next spring?)

2. Today Alex and I have completely savored two classics -- Breakfast at Tiffany's and Chocolat. (I know it's was way too nice to be inside, but at least the windows are open.) I warned Alex that she might find Breakfast at Tiffany's boring, but she LOVED IT! We even watched all the 'extras' on the DVDs. She absolutely idolizes Audrey Hepburn and can't figure out why Marilyn Monroe is such a big deal. We now have Roman Holiday, Funny Face, Sabrina and Paris When It Sizzles on our Netflix queue. And I have strict instructions to buy my daughter something from Tiffany's when we traverse to NYC. Ahem!! Anyone have a Cracker Jack ring to engrave??

Okay, so they're growing up and I'm getting older. It's not all bad..it's actually all good! And really quite fun.

No comments: