page contents

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Girl Crazy? At the Age of 6?


"So, Emma's been your girlfriend for quite a while now, huh?" My dad asks Cole.

"Yeah." Cole pauses. "I think it's the real thing."

When Cole was 3 years old, I developed a much greater appreciation for my husband and his, well, intrigue of the female form. As Cole sifted through Victoria's Secret catalogs and pointed out the pretty girls, I decided that perhaps boys are simply wired that way.

But I'm faced with this challenge of ensuring that my little boy grows up to be respectful of women. He's forbidden to call any girl "hot", even though, he's informed me that calling a girl 'pretty' doesn't sound very cool around your friends.

"I don't care. It doesn't matter what a girl looks like anyway as long as she's nice. And smart." (The smart comment is a seed to plant for his future bride search.) "Just make sure you treat all girls with respect."

Who knows how far my words will go. But I do know one thing. Superheros generally treat women with respect. Heck, they even save them once in awhile.

Who says chivalry is dead?

No comments: