page contents

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Death Stars and #Girlbosses

We are a Star Wars family. One of our favorite Star War-themed movies is Fan Boys. The story follows four young adults in the early 1990's making a pilgrimage to the George Lucas Ranch at a time in their lives when they are trying to figure out who they are. It's a desperately underrated film; I highly recommend it for its humor and life messages. There's a scene when one of the characters is expressing frustration over his current job at his father's car dealership. Deep down, he knows it's not for him. That's when his goofy friend "Hutch" states the best line of the movie: "You gotta find your Death Star."

For those unfortunate few who know not what I speak: the Death Star is Darth Vader's weapon to rule the galaxy. It's a complex weapon and is usually in development. It's the job of the Rebel Alliance to destroy it before it becomes operational. (This plot occurs a few times throughout the saga.) But in the Star Wars world, no matter what side you're on, the Death Star pretty much defines your purpose.

In the same vein of purpose, I just finished reading #Girlboss. Some of you might recognize it as a Netflix series, but it's also the true story of Sophia Amorusa who started a vintage clothing Ebay store and eventually grew it into a multi-billion dollar business called Nasty Gal. I have followed a lot of business success stories, but this one fascinates me, and I know exactly why. This girl, who started with $50 in her pocket, never blinked as she gave up the security of a job and plunged into a clothing venture. Just like Darth Vader and Princess Leia, Sophia Amorusa was strong and true to her purpose.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm meant to be a banker, a writer, or a teacher. I even wonder at times if I am meant to be a mother or a wife. Not that I don't want to be any of those things, but I question my abilities. I'm sure we all do this to an extent – second guess ourselves. Perhaps that's why so many people struggle to find purpose. We see characters like Darth and Sophia who are so good at what they do and are so sure of themselves! What am I doing with my life! Spinning in circles trying to figure it all out!

That's okay, really. Something occurred to me today. Not everyone in this world is struggling to find their purpose. Lots of people, folks, are struggling to survive. Their purpose is to find some water. Some nourishment to see the sunset at the end of the day. What a gift to those of us who get to explore. A gift. Not a struggle. The trick is having the courage to take action. And be thankful about it.

Perhaps life isn't about finding your one true Death Star. Sure, creating a destructive weapon might be one of your purposes. But so is training young Jedi's. Or joining the Rebel Alliance to defeat the Empire. Or transporting Wookies across the universe in the Millennium Falcon. You get it.

I get to serve many purposes. I'm lucky that way. And it's not really about understanding who I am, but exploring who I want to be. As George Bernard Shaw said it best:

"Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself."


No comments: