page contents

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Shopping with my Mother

A shopping day in KC...a long time ago...
Even though my daughter turned sixteen this month, yesterday I was sixteen, and my mother was 38 again. And we were taking a mother-daughter shopping trip while my dad holed himself up in the garage. We managed to have a good time...sans the rest of our families. Wink, wink.

I was simply along for the ride, truly not needing a thing. My mother was the one who needed a day away from her shop–as she rarely gets away. But by the end of the day, I noticed the creases on my arms from my bag straps setting in...as my mother only carried her one measly shopping sack.

"Mom! You need to get more stuff!" I exclaimed in a wave of guilt.

"Oh no. I got everything I came for," she stated in her humble way.

"You sure?" I confirmed, happily toting my bounty, in my only-child type of way.

She nodded, with a smile.

The day was great. We laughed at our atrocious, skinny legs, discussed books at great lengths, wondered about people who don't read (or only read Fifty Shades of Grey), boasted about my kids (a lot), and didn't worry about ANYTHING. And this part is really funny...my mom was really hungry all day. She usually eats like a bird and is slightly disgusted by people who over-eat. But she's on this steroid for a skin reaction. So, it tickled me to see her lick up the rest of my corn chowder. And nibble on some mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups! (She is so anti-sweets!) I couldn't help but giggle...

I know I've been crabby lately–all consumed by work. Certainly, I didn't need to go out and spend my wallet. That wasn't what mattered. The change of pace with my beloved mother was one of the best days I've had in a long time. It was a day to unload. I really did feel like a youthful daughter, on an outing with my wise mother, asking her for her opinion on just about everything and anything. It was a day to cherish. I love you, Mama!










1 comment:

Sandra Ronfeldt said...

Love you, too. Aren't we lucky people?