page contents

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What to do?


Until next season...

My friend, Diane, has the lexicon of a motivational speaker. She was reminding me the other day, “Remember, it’s the journey—not the destination.” I try to think that way. I really do. But at this time of year, I can't help but feel a tremendous amount of satisfaction when I see a few activities getting crossed off on the list. 

  • Piano lessons
  • Soccer
  • Lessons/practice after school
  • Graduation parties
  • SCHOOL
  • Getting the kids to bed before the news. Okay, before Chelsea Handler.
 We’re down to baseball and driver’s ed.

So after I get caught up on laundry, which should take approximately three weeks, I still need to whittle my to-do list, which isn't quite so consumed with maternal-like duties like those above. Let's see, what to do?

  • Finish reading that Charles Dickens novel…the crazy-ambitious read that I happened to suggest for book club?
  • Pound away on my manuscript now that my amazing editor has given me a college semester's worth of commentary? How many times can I rewrite this book? It's too embarrassing to admit.
  •  Or, dig in my garden to create an impossible botanical oasis I’m certain not to accomplish?
Holy buckets! Apparently I forgot it's summer. I'm watching Idol. And Neil Diamond is performing Sweet Caroline! See ya.



No comments: