page contents

Sunday, August 1, 2010

When I Grow Up

Doug and I often ask the kids what they want to be when they grow up. "Artist" and "rockstar" have been the predominant responses the last few go-rounds. I guess we might as well toss doctor or lawyer out the door. And apparently they're not enamored by ma and pa's positions - neither banker nor farmer have gotten any nibbles. Go figure.

We're always encouraging Al and Cole to pursue whatever interests them. "Follow your passion." Thus, music and drawing emerge as career choices. Logical. The hole in this theory, we fear, is the simple economics of making a living. Our kids have no idea what it means to struggle, i.e. to be broke. Not that I would mind if they occupied our basement forever, but somehow me thinks they should experience something beyond my awesome tator tot casserole.

The good news is that they're still young. No need to panic yet, right? I've been brainstorming a few tactics to better prepare the kids for the real world:

1-Practice frugality. Just say no to unnecessary items. Think plain vanilla. (Do you need a kitty playing a guitar on your school notebook for $3.67? Can't we just get the plain yellow one for 49 cents?) This will really teach them some lessons in hardship now, won't it?
2-And let's explore new, specialized skills that could end up paying big bucks. Such as:

Butterfly Whisperer
Monkey Imitator

Any other ideas? I know there are a few other clever parents out there...

No comments: