page contents

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Not Hanging These on the Fridge

Some time after I graduated from college, I asked Mom what happened to the ceramic angel Christmas tree topper I made in junior high art class. After some hem-hawing, she came clean with a confessional of sorts. "I, decided to, ah, well, get rid of some of your old art projects..." she trailed off in embarrassment.

Finally! My art was abominable.  I couldn't believe my perfectionist of a mother ever put any of it out anyway.  While I always thought if you put your mind to something, you can achieve anything, there are certain things beyond my reach. Singing and drawing fall within those categories for me.

But while drawing and painting have escaped me (and my husband), it has somehow landed within our children's gene pool. And low and behold a magical coincidence occurred this summer. An art teacher moved into our tiny town of Earling! So Alex and Cole took three painting lessons and voila! Take a look at that! Yes I am braggin!

No, I won't have to worry about what to do with my kids' art once they leave the house. There just might be even be a shrine. "And Cole drew this Spiderman when he was three. Look at the detail of the web. And Alex created this quilt when she was in the 4th grade. Yes, it was her design..."

No comments: