page contents

Thursday, May 21, 2009

They've Cottoned to Bingo!

As some of you know, I subscribe to “A Word a Day.” This week’s theme has to do with metaphoric fabric words. Did you realize that another use for the word cotton is “to become fond of, or to get on well together”? It goes back to the idea that cotton clings well with other fabrics.
 
How utterly appropriate that my mother and I have ventured into this organic cotton business! We’ve become quite cottoned to the organic feel. It cottons well against the skin. We hope to cotton our relationships with our customers. It’s a darn, good thing that I am so cottoned with my mother!  Okay, you get the idea. Better stop before I un-cotton you all on this post…

So Alex has been bringing up the idea of going to Bingo lately…(Perhaps it’s yet another ploy to spend a bit more time with her BFF’s?) However, the opportunity to satisfy her wish came to us in the form of the involuntary “bingo work” assignment, compliments of St. Joseph’s Parish. Rather than complain and wallow in self-pity about my busy schedule...okay, let me re-phrase. I decided to stop complaining and wallowing in self-pity about my busy schedule and make the best of it. I invited BOTH my kids to come with me, in the name of quality family time. Alex’s requests would certainly tail off after a long night of chasing B9s. And I was curious how Cole would keep with the task. He was immediately smitten with the idea of winning money.
 
Strangely enough, our group of bingo cards were not terribly lucky. Actually, they weren’t lucky at all. Not one single win. Not even one single “I only needed one more!” As the long night drew to a close, the kids’ eyes glossed over, Alex grew eerily quiet, and Cole’s belly-aching was pert-near ostentatious. (“Mom – why can’t you just play this for me?”) Certainly Bingo fever was cured once and for all.

Then on the way home, the question was pitched – at the precise moment when clarity of the extreme boorish nature of game should have consumed them.

“Can we go next week?”
 
“You really want to go again?”
 
“Yeah!”

The idea even gave them a second wind. It began with a little chatter. Soon they were dreaming of how to spend the jackpot. Yes! More BINGO!

Didn’t see that coming. Looks like I’m gonna have to get a few more daubers.

No comments: