page contents

Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Hamster Diaries

May 2007: Cole was the winner today, so we get to care for Eugene, the class hamster, for the summer.

June 2007: Eugene is so cute. I must admit our family has really grown to love him.

July 2007: Something’s wrong with Eugene.

July 2007: Eugene’s dead. The vet had to put him to sleep. I cried like a baby. The kids were much stronger.

Fast forward a year

August 2008: Cole received a hamster from Grandma and Grandpa for his birthday. Joey is just as cute as Eugene. Maybe even cuter.

Sept 2008: Lost Joey. Turned the house upside down to no avail.

Sept 2008: Grandpa took Cole to get a new hamster. Grandpa didn’t want Cole to feel bad about Joey, so he told him, “I bet Joey got outside and is having the time of his life in one of the cornfields.” Cole looked at Grandpa and replied, “Grandpa, he’s probably dead by now.”

Cole quickly selected a new hamster. Hello, Flash.

When I laid eyes on Eugene and Joey, I was surprised how cute I found them to be. So, when we opened the box to meet our newest hamster, I was disappointed to find something that more closely resembled a rat. It was even difficult for me to hold him at first without feeling squeamish. I think it’s the nose. It’s as if Flash is doing a parody of himself.

Despite his looks, he’s a pretty friendly little guy. And when it comes to rodents, I’d take personality over looks any day.

Sept 2008: Flash is still alive. Only one week left of September. Hope he makes it to Halloween. He could easily go as a rat.

No comments: