page contents

Monday, April 14, 2008

Good Mommy, Bad Cook

Do you remember some of your mom's favorite dishes? I can think of a few. Do you know what my kids are going to remember? Those cherished moment when Dad said, "Should we go out to eat?".

When I'm considering taking a dish to take to a new mother or a grieving family, I ask my husband, "What should I bring? What's the best dish I make?", he's quiet a moment. Then he suggests I buy a Pizza Hut gift card.

Anyway, I discovered a great dish today. It's called a "Burnt Grilled Cheese". Really, it's pretty good. Here's what you do...

Take two pieces of your favorite kind of bread. I recommend sourdough or pumperknickle -- something without a bunch of high fructose corn syrup.

  1. Heat a skillet -- spray cooking spray. Always spray cooking spray when you cook.
  2. Instead of buttering the bread, spray it with cooking spray. (You might know this already -- it saves calories.
  3. Place your favorite cheese in between the bread. (Unbuttered sides in.)
  4. Place the sandwich on the grill.
  5. Wait a few minutes until the bread is toasted on one side just as you like it. (This can be tricky with pumperknickle.)
  6. Turn over, then leave the room and start doing something else. Laundry, Googling on the computer, help the kids with homework, anything really.)
  7. When you begin to smell smoke throughout the house, run to the kitchen and turn off the stove.
  8. Place your Grilled Cheese on a plate and let cool a few minutes.
  9. Pull the good side of the sandwich off the burnt side and nibble on the edible parts.
  10. Enjoy and think about all of the extra calories you saved.

No comments: