page contents

Sunday, March 26, 2017

#Alone

When was the last time you felt lonely? If your life is anything like mine, it might have been awhile. But there are very few of us who haven't experienced that feeling one time or another. As an only child, I vividly remember setting up the monopoly board and playing both the thimble and the iron. Sometimes the wheelbarrow. I laugh now at the memory, but admittedly it's not my fondest childhood memory. Being lonely sucks.

A few weekends ago my hubby asked if I wanted to accompany him as he checked cattle. I said no. Obviously! I had things to accomplish on my hectic Saturday morning. Laundry, vacuuming, Pioneer Woman...Then he said something that struck me. "Come on. I'm by myself all week." An aha moment came over me.

I don't want one of my favorite people in the world to feel lonely! So I went. And it was fun and good.

Today CBS Sunday Morning featured a story about a high school in Boca Raton whose students started a program called "We Dine Together." To see kids with this much spirit made my heart soar. And, more importantly, it reminded me how much impact a small gesture can have. So I challenge you! Reach out to a kid at lunch. Say hello to someone sitting alone at a restaurant. Smile at the elderly person in the grocery store. Maybe you already do all of this stuff. That's awesome. But I bet we could all do a little more.

Need some inspiration? Watch this video:


No comments: