page contents

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Perspectives a Fortune Cookie Teller


Three months ago, I received a fortune cookie that said, 

Remember three months from this date. Good things are in store for you.”

Like any rational person, I put a note on my Outlook Calendar, marking the date. Imagine my delight when I saw my note on Tuesday! Something big was going to happen. Had I purchased a lottery ticket I had forgotten? Or registered to win a trip that didn't require an investment in a timeshare? Or maybe, just maybe, I had finally gotten that big book deal from Random House. I won't lie. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve. I only had a four-hour board meeting to get through. No problem! Good things were in store.

Once I got home, I checked my email. Dick’s Sporting Goods was having a 40% off sale. Good news, but not great. I kept scrolling, but didn't find any message indicating a book deal or contest winnings. Not to worry. The night wasn't over!

I'll cut to the chase to avoid suspense. I went to bed, wondering if my Chinese fortune cookie had been defective. All week I wondered. As a matter of fact, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how HAPLESS the last few days had been.
  • Got a nail in my car on the way to meet an author I admire! Missed the entire event.
  • Had a random beer bottle thrown at me. Seriously. It shattered before my feet.
  • Gained a pound.
  • My son got yanked from his position in football.
  • Okay. Actually I gained two pounds.

I reread the fortune. (I keep a stack of them.)

"Good things are in store for you."

I put it away with a sigh.

But I didn't put it out of my head.

Had I overlooked anything this week? 

Any good things? 

YES! YES I HAD!

  • Daughter surprised us by coming home from college to round out a fantastic Kramfam weekend in which we devoured a crazy delicious pizza in Panora. Worth the two extra pounds of muffin-top.
  • Aforementioned daughter also called me twice this week to chat about life plans instead of a physical ailment she self-diagnosed on Web MD.
  • Sat by good friend at Mass this week. Cheered my heart.
  • The beer bottle MISSED my face. No one was maimed. How great is that?
  • Received an email from an old college friend telling me how she loved my book and has been recommending it to others. (Better than a book deal! Almost.)
  • Ran into another good friend whom informed me that her hubby had just survived a serious bout of WEST NILE! He is better now. Thank goodness!
  • Harvest! Doug opened up the fields! And we've gone five days without rain! (Did I just jinx it?)
  • And the coolest thing about this week? A text. Received from my son, after I sent him some encouragement. Here's the dialogue.


I got a pretty good life anyway so I'm good. :) 

A pretty good life fo sho. My kids are great. My hubby is happy. Our parents are healthy. We have great friends. And we can have pizza pretty much anytime we want.

Fortune cookie was spot on.

No comments: