page contents

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ugly Dolls


I thought I'd begin Christmas shopping early this year, again. (It began with a tip of something my daughter wanted.) Since I'm trying to curb my senseless shopping habit, Christmas shopping seemed a healthy alternative. That might not make sense to you, but just go with it.

Anyway, Cole found the securely hidden gifts today. (They were poking out from under the carseat.) Obviously,I'll need to beef up my hiding techniques. So, have you heard of the new "ugly dolls" line? Truly the little novelties are irresistible. You immediately think, "Why didn't I think of that?" Even with my very, very poor sewing skills, I could've whipped one of these up. Anyway, isn't it intriguing how my family is attracted to ugly things? Hamsters that look like rats. Ugly dolls. I wonder what Alex's and Cole's future spouses will look like.

My Dad always used to say, "I never cared if I had a son or a daughter. But if I had a daughter, I hoped she wouldn't be ugly." I imagine he wanted me to move out of the house eventually, which I did by the age of 25.

The point of my blog? Perhaps just to ramble a bit. But there is a trifling point. I'm comforted by the fact that my kids are willing to look beyond the surface. Not only are they intrigued with peculiarity, they seem to love it. At least we've taught them something -- love more than the outwardly beautiful!

(I found these dolls at Odd+Ends in Harlan for any of you wanting to start your Christmas shopping early.)

No comments: